It took 4 days for our girls to get over the jetlag. The first two days were horrible. Both girls were cranky all night. Akemi kept waking up at 3am and would go back to sleep at 7am for a nap to wake up at 10am, then back to sleep at 3pm till the following day. Jonathan and I felt like pulling our hair out at times! We thought it would never end. Finally by Monday, Akemi started waking up at her normal time and been going to bed at 8:30pm.
Our first few meals were dumplings (frozen dumplings that were steamed). By Sunday, we finally hired an Aiyi (helper) through an Aiyi agency. I should of taken a picture of the agency, but the office is literally the size of a walkin closet. There were tons of women all packed in the office sitting in stools. Jonathan's dad would ask a series of questions and those who didn't qualify or didn't want to do the job, would leave the office and go outside. In the end, Jonathan's dad found a Aiyi and seemed to think she was good compare to the others. Personally I think he liked her because she seemed to be more modern and decent looking compare to the other women. I was very skeptical since she didn't seem like she worked hard in her life, but we would only test her out for a few days before committing to anything. So far, she's been great. I'm not sure she's ready to take care of the kids so I've been asking her to come with me to the indoor playground every morning.
By the way, it's freezing here! I came totally unprepared. Poor Ayumi (4 mos) doesn't have the thick winter coats that everyone has. All the other Aiyis been commenting to my Aiyi that she looks cold. We've been trying to layer her, but you should see these kids walking around looking like puffy marshmellows. I'm hoping to go check out some stores near by to see if they sell anything warm for a baby.
I haven't run into any expats yet. Our complex has a indoor playground but whenever we go, it's full of kids and their Aiyis. I guess most of the expats stay home or have their kids go to school. I'm hoping once the weather gets warmer, we'll run into a few at the outdoor playground.
I'll try to take pictures soon of our place, once we tidy it up.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment