Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Akemi's 2 weeks old

Akemi is 2 weeks old today and on this day, she finally lost her umbilical cord stump. My mom was carrying her and it just fell right off. My mom wants me to save it for some Japanese traditional reasons but she can't remember what the tradition is. Isn't that odd? She said it's the last physical link of me to Akemi or something. Anyways, we saved it till she finds out the symbolic reason. I'm tempted to throw it away cause it looks like a big scab. =)

Akemi also had her 2 week check up on Monday. We were reassured by the doctor that her spitting up large amount of milk is normal and that we should change our feeding method to more frequent feeding and less amount. I've been burping her every few minutes and that's been helping in the decrease of spit ups. She's still a little fussy between the hours of midnight and 6am. We thought we were lucky last night cause she was really good from midnight till 4am. She only wakes up to eat and goes straight to sleep.

But then 4am hit and she was so fussy. We would change her diaper, feed, rock, and put her down to sleep but then she would start crying and we would start the entire process. She didn't go to sleep till 6am. Jonathan was dead tired. He still managed to leave for work before 8am today. Meanwhile I knocked out from 8am till 11am.

Any phone calls are appreciated after 1pm because I'm out of commission in the morning from staying up at night. =)

Okidoki,... off to take a nap.

3 comments:

Willis said...

So sorry to hear about the fussiness. As far as spitting up, I know Deb had the same problem early on but Austin seemed to get better. Part of it is a natural thing; you could also try sitting him as upright as is natural when you feed him and yeah, the burping helps. Also, try to minimize the bouncing during this period. Smaller bounces preferably. Dunno if any of this will work but I think that's some of the stuff we tried...

Aoyama Family said...

We saved Tesshin's cord stump. It's in a little box all wrapped up in cotton. My mom has all three of ours, too. I know, it's some weird Japanese tradition but hey, there has to be some deep meaning behind it :o) I'm glad to hear that Akemi is doing better with the spit up. Happy 2 Week Birthday Akemi!

Baby Talks said...

I remember when Austin lost his cord stump. We were ready to give him a sponge bath and I said, "hey, what happened to your cord stump?!" It took me a while to retrace my steps to find it. I guess it fell off when I was feeding him. Now it's sitting on a bookshelf. I don't know what to do with it, but I feel sad thinking about throwing it away. :P I'm glad to hear Akemi is doing better with feedings. :)