I learned today that you can't always rely on people. Whether it be friends or family. Those who you would think will help, often let you down. And then there are those who surprise you. These past few weeks I have seen acts of kindness and generosity from people who I quite honestly did not expect it from. And then there were those who disappointed me because I had certain expectations of them.
In the end I believe that Karen and I will always be there for one another. We are the only two people who will also do anything for Akemi. In regards to taking care of Akemi, maybe I can't be as much help as I would like. Sometimes feel like I'm sitting on the sidelines watching Karen care for Akemi. But today I realized that another role I can take in this family is being Karen's caretaker.
Everyday I am amazed at Karen's strength. She exhibits so much patience with Akemi. Maybe it seems like alot compared to my lack of patience, but regardless I am still impressed. In a way, I am very proud of her. She spends 100% of her energy on Akemi. She has none left for herself. So this is where I should step in.
Maybe cleaning the dishes, taking out the trash, or going to Target to buy Diaper Genie refills isn't part of "fatherhood". But if it makes Karen's job easier [and she has the hardest job], then that's the role I will take.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Those things you're doing, they are all a part of fatherhood, it's all a matter of taking care of your family. Don't sell yourself short. You're both doing a fine job as new parents and all Akemi wants is her loving parents to take care of her and keep her safe.
And I can relate to your earlier post regarding the late night crying. Trust me, it happens to the best of us. I had to be rescued many times because it became too much to handle. Just take it one day at a time, you're still learning about each other.
Hopefully the three of us can get rid of our colds soon so we can visit you three. :)
Post a Comment